Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tweet-a-Coffee? Yes, Please!

Online gift giving is nothing new. Facebook encourages users to give digital presents to friends on their birthday and other important occasions, such as getting a new job, becoming engaged or when celebrating an anniversary. Since 2011, users have been able to send Starbucks gift cards to fellow users. Now, the coffee giant is making it easier to enable your friends caffeine addiction through Twitter.

By linking your Twitter account with a credit card, Tweeple can send coffee to friends by tweeting at the user @tweetacoffee, then the Twitter handle of the friend you would like to receive a $5 e-gift card to Starbucks. As an additional incentive, the first 100,000 qualifying Visa card user that uses Tweet-a-Coffee will receive a $5 Starbucks e-gift card for themselves as well through November 6. 

Users are already adopting the technology. A simple search of "tweetacoffee" on Twitter shows that users are send each other coffee and redeeming the gift cards. 



Social media is making is continuously making it easier to manage our offline relationships online and Tweet-a-Coffee is just another example. Personally, I could see myself using Twitter to thank my coffee drinking friends for help, giving them a small pick-me-up when they are having a bad day or as a present for a special occasion where I couldn't be there to celebrate in person. Would you use Tweet-a-Coffee? What would your reaction to receiving a gift card that can be used in the offline world through a digital means? 

3 comments:

  1. This is a really cool idea! I think that Starbucks does a great job with their social media. Espically with their "secret menu" that they let surface on social media but never talk about! I think more companies need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great, new, innovative way for Starbucks to engage their followers! I would definitely use Tweet-a-Coffee. I think it is more convenient than sending an e-gift card through Facebook because you would only have to register your card once and it is only $5 rather than $20 or $25. If I were to receive a Tweet-a-Coffee it would probably make my day and I'd probably drive to Lima right then and there to redeem it and get a coffee pick me up! This is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely seems like a good move on the part of Starbucks. When companies show they're not only open, but even eager to use social media, in this day and age, it means that for a lot of people they appear all the more in touch with reality. This sort of thing would be a good idea for other companies to pick up on too, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete