Thursday, October 24, 2013

Shirley's Gourmet Popcorn Company Competition

Yesterday, I traveled to Bluffton, Ohio with my fellow TrueNorth PR team members, Julie and Jordan. We had agreed to take on a project for Shirley's Gourmet Popcorn Company, a heavenly popcorn shop that is connected to Bluffton's Shannon Theater. 

I have loved Shirley's for some time now, to the point that I travel there the minute they send me a coupon for their always delicious popcorn of the month. This month, when they introduced the special popcorn (S'mores and red hot popcorn anyone?), there was a tiny box in the side bar announcing a Shirley's commercial contest. The contest asked for submissions that were anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds, with the winner receiving $500. Naturally, I wanted in on this and brought it up to Dr. Aggie and Julie. Unfortunately, I didn't think I would be in charge of organizing this.

Before you think I'm whining or acting full of myself, let me explain some. I have never been in charge of any project for our student ran public relations firm. I have no video experience to speak of, besides putting together small video slideshows for mine and my sister's graduation parties. Luckily, Julie was quick to volunteer to help and we recruited Jordan, who has WAY more experience with videos than I could ever imagine having, to help me tackled this project. After a slight freak out on Monday because I had no idea what to do for this project or even how to begin, we picked a day to go and film at the store and then edit the video in to a commercial.

I was super nervous that entire day trying to think of how this project would turn out, but I should have known that was pointless. We're public relations students! We're smart, creative and extremely  good at working well under pressure and deadlines. After a quick brainstorming session in the Freed Center and my car, we were ready to take this project on. The filming for the video did take a while, but we had a lot of fun doing it. We were super lucky to have one of the employees of Shirley's be such a good sport and let us film her as part of some of the videos. While the actual commercials are not finished yet, keep your eye out! We're going to create them tonight and I may upload them on to my blog to show off our comedic and acting genius. 


The biggest thing about this project is that movie goers the weekend of November 1 and 2 will be voting on the winners. Help TrueNorth PR win $500 by going vote on our project and enjoy some delicious Shirley's Gourmet Popcorn while your at it. 

1 comment:

  1. This post made me hungry for some Shirley's popcorn! I love that place. You, Julie and Jordan did a great job on the videos for having little video experience. I am impressed! Your commercial ideas are unique and enthusiastic, so I'm sure you'll do great in the competition. I'm sure I'll be seeing more information about the competition and voting soon, but I'll do what I can to support my fellow firm members! Winning this competition would be a great fundraiser for PRSSA. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete