Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Butt Glue, Lashes and Lipstick, Oh My!

Butt glue...Check. False eye lashes...Check. Caboodle full of make up...Check. 
While to some of you these items may sound like strange torture devices, for me these items are essential. This week, I'm preparing to compete in Miss Northwestern Ohio where I have the opportunity to win scholarship money from placing high in the competition and winning individual categories and the chance to become a titleholder and continue to Miss Ohio. I'll compete in multiple areas of competition, including a 10 minute interview panel, lifestyle and fitness which is better known as swimsuit, evening gown, talent and on stage question. A panel of judges will decide between myself and 12 other girls on who will best represent this title. 

I've been preparing for this pageant for a while. Lifestyle and fitness is an ongoing effort and I've been trying to better myself through being in the gym five to seven times a week for one to two hours at a time. I memorized my piece for talent, which is an alto saxophone arrangement of Adele's "Rolling In The Deep", over the summer for a pageant I competed in before school started. Evening gown is probably the easiest section, it just requires you to walk elegantly and smile. 

For this pageant, I'll be staying the night at the home of my hostess who will also be my lifesaver when the actual competition begins. While I haven't met her yet, this woman will be the one that will help zip me into my evening gown, find my swimsuit and talent costume, locate my earrings and more than likely have to calm me down at some point. When you are quickly moving from one section of the competition to the next and stripping as fast as you can to be ready for the next section this kind of help seems heaven sent. 

The amount of things that I have to pack for this pageant is a little overwhelming. Picture this: an evening gown, my black talent costume, my swimsuit, an outfit for opening number and on stage question, my interview dress, five sets of jewelry organized in a tackle box, extra earring backs and back up earrings, butt glue to keep my swimsuit bottoms in place while I walk, four pairs of heels, a bathrobe for when I'm backstage, shapewear, a caboodle filled with more make up than I need, clothes for rehearsal the night before and day of....The list goes on and on and on. 



I did well in my last pageant. Not only did I win interview, but I won some scholarship money that is really helping me out this year. I'm nervous, that's for sure. I've been nervous since Sunday. But no matter what, I'm going to be loading up my Nitro and making my way to Defiance, Ohio for this pageant. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that these items sounds somewhat like torture tools, well mostly the butt glue. However, I know you love doing these competitions and have fun dressing up and feeling good about yourself, just like any girl does. I know you didn't end up placing, but I'm sure that you did awesome! I hope you had a good time and I know you will do great in the next pageant I'm sure you'll be competing in soon.

    ReplyDelete