Thursday, September 19, 2013

Deep In My Heart, I Love My A-Xi-D.

During my first semester at Ohio Northern University, I made the decision to go Greek. It wasn't something I did on a whim or because I thought it would be cool. For as long as I can remember, I could see the girls walking around Ada and ONU wearing the letters proudly, walking with their sisters and looking happy as can be. I wanted to be a part of that. I had to be a part of it. 
So I did. I joined Alpha Xi Delta, the oldest (and greatest, because I am biased) sorority on campus. I love my sorority, my big, my twin, my little, my nieces, my sisters. They have helped me define who I am since I have came to college and what I may become after I graduate.

Last year, right before finals week, I had to make the difficult decision to take Early Alumnae status. It wasn't an easy decision. I loved my sisters, I loved my sorority. I was afraid everyone would hate me. But, I wasn't able to really enjoy myself because of work, which I did a lot because I paid for my dues on my own. I'm not inactive, recently I've been as active as I was last year. But spring semester was hard. I didn't know where I fit in, I didn't think people wanted me around. I really only talked to a couple of sisters. I missed out on my twin getting her second little, philanthropy events, our second new member class that year, even just being around the house. 

Now, I'm starting to figure things out again. I've re-discovered the love I had for Alpha Xi Delta my freshman year, when everything was shiny and new. I helped with preference, the last round of formal recruitment before Bid Day. I went to Bid Day, took pictures, helped welcome our beautiful new members. I cried with Kaylee and Courtney when my little, Becca, made it into the top 15, top 10 and top 5 at Miss America. I screamed and shared the excitement of having our largest new member class in year with Courtney in the PAC lab. But, best of all, my sisters want me to be around just as much as I want to be around them. I have found that sense of security and home that I lost this winter. 

Alpha Xi Delta has helped me realize my potential over and over the past two years. Now, early alumnae or not, I hope that I can continue to be the best sister, twin, big, aunt, g-aunt, friend, woman and whatever else I may be through my absolutely amaXIng sorority. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to have you around so much more this semester and to be guaranteed to see you at least twice a week, if not more. You have been and always will be a huge part of my Alpha Xi experience. It has been so wonderful having you as my twin and I'm so happy to call you that. You were a HUGE reason I didn't give up my sophomore year when things were rough with my schoolwork and when big was leaving and super busy being a senior. I am so incredibly proud to call you my sister and even more excited to spend lots of time with you my senior year.
    Love your twinny!!

    ReplyDelete